In the latest ESPN assault on Nets fans dreams, Chris Broussard reports that "Deron Williams' first choice is to stay with the Nets and to build something special in Brooklyn, but if it doesn't work out with his current team, his short list of desirable destinations includes the Mavericks, the Knicks and the Lakers, according to sources close to the situation".
Citing multiple sources throughout his report, Broussard paints a mostly negative portrait of the Nets' future, that D-Will is only likely to stay if the Nets somehow acquire Dwight Howard, either through a trade or free agency and if the Nets fail, they can be expected to market Williams throughout the league.
"If Howard does go elsewhere, the Nets will be faced with the same dilemma New Orleans faced in moving Chris Paul -- finding a trade partner that Williams will sign with long term because few, if any, teams will be willing to part with major assets for a two-month rental," Broussard writes. His top choice, says Broussard, could be the Knicks, but the Nets would have to agree to a trade since the Knicks (and the Lakers) have no cap space.
In subsequent tweets, Stefan Bondy recalled what Williams told beat writers last month, "It’d be tough to leave (the Nets) and go there … It’s unlikely. It’s unlikely. Anything is possible, I guess. I could sign with the Timberwolves if I wanted to play with Kevin Love.”
- Nets' Deron Williams has wish list - Chris Broussard - ESPN
Will Dwight Howard come to Los Angeles Lakers' rescue? - ESPN
- George Hill talks contract extension with Pacers, more NBA notes - Sam Amick - Sports Illustrated
- Report: Mavericks are 'likeliest landing spot' for Deron Williams in free agency - Dallas Morning News
- Deron Williams Reportedly Has Short List Of Destinations If Things Don't Work Out With Nets - Paul Johnson - SB Nation
- Deron Williams Has List Of Teams In Case Nets Deal Doesn’t Work Out - Sports Illustrated
- Deron Williams has a wish list, which means very little - Eric Freeman - Yahoo! Sports
- Deron Williams' list: Nets, Knicks, Mavs, Lakers? - Ben Golliver - CBS Sports
- Report: Deron Williams would leave Nets if they don't get Dwight Howard - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Deron Williams has a wish list, too. Nets are on top for now. - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
Report: Magic may keep Howard, try to land Steve Nash - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Deron Williams would play for four teams, according to reports - Bobby Bonett - New York Newsday
LAKERS NOTEBOOK: Williams could be Lakers' safety Net - LA Daily News - Elliot Teaford - Los Angeles Daily News
- Lakers News: Deron Williams Keeps Options Open With Lakers - Ramneet Singh - Lakers Nation
- Chris Broussard's anonymous source says that Deron Williams has a list and the Knicks are on that list and everybody should care about the list - Seth - Posting and Toasting