In a 30-minute talk with the team's beat writers, Avery Johnson confirmed that John Loyer, the team's highly thought of assistant, will join Lawrence Frank's staff in Detroit. Although he wouldn't confirm that P.J. Carlesimo will be joining the the Nets, he heaped praise on the former Seton Hall and Warriors coach.
In addition, tweets from beats report Johnson says Sam Mitchell could return to the bench after losing out on the Timberwolves' job, but would make no commitment. Both Popeye Jones, who worked with Johnson in Dallas, and Doug Overton will get more responsibility. In other coaching news, the Armor will hold a press conference Wednesday to officially name Bob MacKinnon Jr. as head coach and introduce other members of the Springfield staff.
Johnson also said Mikhail Prokhorov's political ambitions will cause some "shifting" in the organization but it shouldn't change much. One "shift" that's already happened: Sergey Kushchenko, who's now described as an executive board member "is going to have more of a role."
- Carlesimo close to Netting spot as Avery's aide - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- John Loyer leaving Nets staff, headed to Pistons; Plus much more from Avery Johnson - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
P.J. Carlesimo expected to join Nets' staff - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Johnson’s Staff Will Look Much Different - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Avery on Prokhorov, King, and a famous wedding - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Johnson adjusting to quiet time - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
Avery unlikely to see Nets anytime soon - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Nets coach on his staff, and political Prokhorov - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
- Nets coach Avery Johnson sees change in role of team owner - Colin Stephenson - Nets Blast
- Nets coach Avery Johnson calls Russian hockey plane crash 'devastating' - Colin Stephenson - Nets Blast
- Nets' Johnson: Russia hockey crash 'devastating' - AP
Avery Johnson says assistant John Loyer leaving to join Detroit Pistons - AP
- Frank Lures Loyer from Nets to Pistons; P.J. Returns to Newark - Alex Raskin - HoopsWorld
Nets coaching staff clears up amid cloudy future - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
NETS: Avery Johnson Returns from Russia to East Rutherford - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets