Not that anybody's really counting anymore, but the Nets are a loss or an Indiana win from finally being eliminated from playoff contention after a 98-87 loss in Atlanta on Saturday night.
For most of the game, this one was much uglier than the final score indicates. After Anthony Morrow scored the first two points of the game, the Hawks scored 19 straight. They led by as many as 18 in the first quarter, making 14 of their 22 shots in the period. The lead ballooned to 28 late in the second and 30 early in the third. A 12-2 Nets run in the fourth quarter cut it to 10 with five minutes to go, but Al Horford answered with a personal 6-0 run to put the game away.
The Nets scored just 31 points in the first half, but finished shooting 48 percent for the game. They were led by Morrow, who scored 25 points on 11-for-21 from the field. Brook Lopez failed to score in double-figures for the first time since Jan. 8 and Kris Humphries failed to grab double-figure rebounds for the first time in 14 games.
Meanwhile. the team revealed that Lopez has been playing with a calcium deposit in his arm for most of the season. He said it didn't affect him tonight
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- First Half Highlights (Video) - NBA.com
- Hawks beat Nets 98-87, lock up playoff spot - Charles Odum - AP
Hawks' Joe Johnson hurts right thumb - Charles Odum - AP
- Nets' Deron Williams says he will return before end of season - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets' Williams: I'll be back Wednesday - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Lopez blanked on the boards - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Hawks send Nets to sixth loss in last seven games with 98-87 victory - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets lose to Hawks, but could get Deron Williams back Wednesday - Al Iannazzone - The Record
Nets notes: Kris Humphries' future - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Nets show fight late after laying down early - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
- Post-Game Plus (Video) - Jessica Taff - YES Network
- From the Booth (Video) - Ryan Ruocco & Mike Fratello - YES Network
- Avery Johnson Press Conference (Video) - Troy Benjamin - YES Network
- Pre-Game: Avery Johnson (Video) - Mike Fratello - YES Network
Deron Williams to return vs. Knicks - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets can't finish comeback in 98-87 loss to Hawks - Michael Cunningham - Atlanta Journal-Constitution