The Maloof brothers have filed trademarks for several Anaheim-region names, all using the nickname "Royals".
I know taking another team's former name as soon as they change is unorthodox, but "Kings" - to me - is the perfect name for this team, and the identity they're trying to build.
1. An association with the borough of Brooklyn (Kings County).
2. An association with their stated goal of world domination.
3. Swagger, bravado, power. The embodiment of their two most visible owners.
4. The athlete, kingpin, entertainer, etc. who rules the city is the "King of New York". Gibes with their local ambitions.
5. Brooklyn Kings just kinda sounds good. Lots of good logo/uniform potential there too.
6. Good historic mojo: The Knickerbockers - Dutch colonists in New Amsterdam - surrendered the region to England, leading to the naming of Kings County in honor of Charles II.
I don't really know what my point is, since a move like this is straight out of 1880's baseball or 2000's Arena Football and the name has its own history somewhere else. Not to mention we're probably past the point when they've decided on a name. But in a perfect world, this match would happen.