I run the Utah Jazz website for SB Nation. Congrats on the trade. I'll miss Deron a lot though I'm anxious to see how Favors develops and if Harris returns to form.
I don't have to tell you what kind of player you got. Most Jazz fans hoped that he would last in Utah as long as Stockton but that didn't happen obviously.
Just know that for as high as you were in getting him, we were as low in losing him. I hope you don't experience the same thing next season.
Anyway, a couple of things to know about him and that you can choose to carry on if you'd like. I only request that #1 be mandatory:
- 8 > 3. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You must carry this on. Hornets fans will fight you tooth and nail about this. If Paul ends up in New York, and Deron stays with the Nets, it would be a fantastic addition to the rivalry. Head to head record isn't close.
- We refer to Deron as ninja most of the time with his moves, passes, and shots. It also has to do with the ESPN commercial he was in where this was drawn.
- Deron used to be on twitter but is not any more. He didn't like all the replies he would get. He does have a Facebook page though.
- If you're on twitter, follow @MattMitnick. He's Deron's #1 and best friend from high school. He helps run Deron's charity foundation.
- Speaking of which... Deron does a lot in the community. He appeared at random Costcos for promotions. He put on a Dodge Ball tourney the past couple of years. He puts on an annual golf tournament. He also does an annual Christmas program for single mothers and does dinner and presents. Lots, lots more.
- Personal things. He's married to his high school sweetheart Amy and they have three kids with another due shortly. As you may already know, that's one of the reasons why he didn't like the trade up front. They have a house in San Diego for the summer but I wonder if he'll keep that now.
- The only downside to Deron is that he can complain a lot during games if he's not getting calls, etc. I guess a lot of stars do, but it's not becoming of Deron.
- He's also still dealing with a wrist injury. It might keep him out some games but only if it's really bad. Otherwise, he'll play through it and rest it up in the off-season.
- Whether it was frustration or his wrist injury or both, we haven't seen a lot of the ninja the past month or so. Don't let that discourage you. He's still a top-ten player and remember, he won player of the month in November. He could become ninja again given that he will be the man on the Nets.
If you have any questions, hit me up @slcdunk or email, firstname.lastname@example.org