Mikhail Prokhorov flies to Vancouver, BC, Monday morning for a short heli-skiing vacation (a helicopter flies you to the top of a mountain and you ski down the virgin snows). Where he goes from there is unknown but if it's a press conference to welcome Carmelo Anthony, don't be surprised.
The Nets remain confident that they are still in the game, with Fred Kerber reporting "several league sources insisted the Nets are still in the running to land Denver’s star forward. One source claimed an 'air of optimism' remained around the Nets". One reason: the Knicks and Nuggets seemed to have reached an impasse over Denver's insistence that Timofey Mozgov be included in the deal.
The issue may not be Mozgov himself, but the Knicks' reluctance to include four of their top six players in the deal. And not everyone believes it's that big a problem. Chris Dempsey of the Denver Post suggests he is in the final mix...and a deal is nearly done.
'Melo himself told reporters after the All-Star Game that Denver has long known where he will and won't sign that extension. As Chris Mannix tweeted early Monday, "If we are to take Melo at his word that the Nuggets know where he will and won't sign, then the Nuggets must think he will sign w/Jersey...No way the Nuggets would string Nets along like this if they were told he wouldn't sign there."
Meanwhile, one of the Nets included in trade proposals went on the record. Ben Uzoh told his hometown television station that he prefers to stay in New Jersey but understands it's a business.
- Nets not dead yet in pursuit of Anthony - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Knicks won't alter 'Melo offer - Mitch Lawrence & Peter Vecsey - New York Post
- Dr. J tells New Jersey to ’Melo in - Marc Berman - New York Post
Amar'e gets 29 in East defeat - Marc Berman - New York Post
- With Nuggets on their side, Nets still hopeful - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Isiah pushes for Carmelo trade while Dolan tries to deny outside involvement - Mitch Lawrence & Frank Isola - New York Daily News
Prokhorov tells CNBC he forced Knicks to up their offer for Carmelo - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets: Carmelo Anthony talk 'fantastic' - ESPN New York
- Melo mood - Henry Abbott - ESPN
- Melo-drama overshadows All-Star weekend - Brian Mahoney - AP
Nuggets close in on deal to send Melo to Knicks - Chris Dempsey - Denver Post
As Final Pitches Are Made, Carmelo 'Just Wants It to Be Over With' - Chris Tomasson - FanHouse
- Anthony seems unimpressed after meeting with Nets brass - Sean Deveney - Sporting News
Warren grad Uzoh finding his groove as rookie in NBA - David Flores - KENS