Avery Johnson told beat writers Saturday that all the Nets, other than Brook Lopez and Jordan Williams, will be ready for action Monday when the Nets open in Washington vs. the Wizards. Lopez, of course, is recovering from foot surgery and Williams hasn't practiced after a bout of dehydration.
Mehmet Okur arrived about 1 a.m. Saturday, got 2-3 hours of sleep, but looked "OK" at practice, said Johnson. He'll play Monday. Okur said his sister, who lives in New York, nearly fainted on hearing the news of the trade. WIth Ime Udoka cut, Okur's long time uniform number, 13, is available for him. In other number news, DeShawn Stevenson will wear 92, Dennis Horner has switched from 40 to 31, and Shawne Williams is 7.
It was family day at the PNY Center, meaning Candace Parker, aka Mrs. Shelden Williams, was around while another celebrity wife (whose name must not be spoken) wasn't.
- Okur 'happy and excited' to be with Nets - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets give Horner early X-Mas gift - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Nets' Mehmet Okur wastes no time after arriving in New Jersey - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
Avery Johnson says Nets are going to need time to right this ship - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Mehmet Okur Interview (Video) - New Jersey Nets
- Tall order for Okur - Andy Vasquez - The Record
Center Mehmet Okur joins the Nets - Tim Bontemps - New York Post
- Nets, Bulls populated by ex-Jazz citizens - Jody Genessy - Deseret News