The Nets have announced that Brook Lopez has suffered a stress fracture of the fifth metatarsal in his right foot. He'll have surgery Friday. The surgery will end Lopez's 246 consecutive game streak, fourth longest in the NBA , and more importantly leave the Nets with Johan Petro and Shelden Williams at center.
Lopez suffered the fracture in the first half of the game, but continued playing. X-rays late Wednesday night revealed the damage
The team believes that Lopez could be back in four to six weeks, meaning early February. The injury is very similar to that suffered by his twin, Robin Lopez, on his left foot in October 2009. Robin Lopez missed seven weeks.
Billy King said he’s looking for a replacement for Lopez but won’t rush it. "Injuries happen," said King. "It’s part of sports and it’s how you react to them. Other guys gotta step up until we do something else." Deron Williams calls the news "definitely devastating," but notes injuries cannot be controlled.
- Brook Lopez to have foot surgery - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN
Nets Brook Lopez has stress fracture in foot, will have surgery - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets’ Brook Lopez to Have Foot Surgery - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Brook Lopez, Nets center, breaks foot - Tim Bontemps - New York Post Nets Blog
- Brook Lopez, NJ Nets center, has stress fracture in right foot, will have surgery Friday - New York Daily News
Nets speak in the aftermath of Brook Lopez's injury - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets lose Lopez to broken foot - Andy Vasquez - NJ Nets Nation
Lopez Injury Hurts Nets On Two Fronts - John Schuhmann - NBA.com
Nets Center Brook Lopez to Undergo Surgery for Stress Fracture in Foot - Mason Levinson - Bloomberg News
- Brook Lopez’s broken foot puts Nets’ pursuit of Dwight Howard in danger - Zach Lowe - SI.com
- Lopez' injury puts Dwight deal in more jeopardy - Matt Moore - CBS Sports
NETS: Broken Brook: Lopez Suffers Stress Fracture - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets