In a radio interview with Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts Wednesday (billed as a talk with "the man who has a man crush on Dwight Howard"), Billy King denied he has had discussions with the Magic or its GM, Otis Smith, in months, but declined to discuss any interest in Howard. He later reiterated that with beat writers.
King said his first reaction to the ESPN story was to check the CBA (which has yet to be finalized or ratified) to see if the trade proposed would even work.
Bottom line, said King, when asked if the rumors re: Howard would become another Melo Drama: "It won't continue. The circus-like atmosphere surrounding last year...it won't happen."
Meanwhile, in Orlando, Magic GM Otis Smith said he wants to keep Howard, but would not rule out trading him. "You have to make the best decision of what’s in the best interests of the franchise," Smith told the Orlando Sentinel. "That’s how I’ve always went about it: to make the best decision that’s in the best interests of the Orlando Magic".
He added, "I have three guys who are coming back in game shape", meaning his three overseas point guards, D-Will, Jordan Farmar and Sundiata Gaines, who played 40+ games in Europe. King also said he likes both Kris Humphries and Brandan Wright, but "I gotta see where money is being spent and what's left,"
- Billy King Interview (Audio) - Evan Roberts & Joe Benigno
- King Talks Basketball, Brook, Trade Rumors and Avoiding a Circus Atmosphere - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
Nets GM says trade talks won't be 'circus' like last year - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
Nets GM Billy King denies Dwight Howard trade rumors - AP
- Nets GM Billy King issues strong denial of trade talks for Dwight Howard - Colin Stephenson - Nets Blast
- Nets GM Billy King addresses media on Deron Williams, free agency, other matters - Colin Stephenson - Nets Blast
- Billy King: Forget waiting for another star, "our goal is to be successful now." - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Nets wants Deron Williams, big man - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Why do the Nets want D-12? Stats! - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
Orlando Magic GM Otis Smith wants to keep Dwight Howard but won't rule out trade if necessary - Josh Robbins - Orlando Sentinel