With dozens of players standing behind him, Billy Hunter went nuclear on the NBA Monday afternoon, saying collective bargaining had broken down irreparably and the the union had notified all 30 teams that it is dissolving. The players will now file an anti-trust suit against the NBA, jeopardizing the 2011-12 season.
"We've negotiated in good faith for over two years. .. the players just felt that they've given enough," said Hunter in describing the rationale for the move, called a "disclaimer." The union has hired David Boies, one of the nation's top litigators and the NFL's lawyer, to pursue the anti-trust case. With no union to negotiate with, the next step is up to the owners. On Sunday, David Stern said the league is likely to void all player contracts, since they are based on collective bargaining agreements.
Derek Fisher said the decision was unanimous among the players. "This is where it stops for us as a union," he said. Later, David Stern released a statement, laying the blame on Hunter. "With this irresponsible action at this late date, Billy Hunter has decided to put the season in jeopardy and deprive his membership of an enormous payday."
Deron WIlliams, in Turkey, tweeted "This is why I said we should have done this in July bc at least the process would have been underway... even over! Now possibly #NOSEASON." Anthony Morrow added, "We're not gonna be Strong-Armed," while MarShon Brooks tweeted, "sad, sad day."
- Players Reject NBA's Offer, Begin to Disband Union - AP
- Reaction to NBA players rejecting league’s offer, beginning to disband union - AP
NBA players reject deal; dissolve union - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- Players Reject N.B.A.’s Offer and Opt to Disband Union - Howard Beck - New York Times
In NBA lockout, David Stern's stance won't fly if case reaches court - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
NBA players take Stern to court; do they know what they're getting into? - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
- NBPA Press Conference (Video) - NBA.com
- NBA Commissioner David Stern statement - NBA.com
David Aldridge with Billy Hunter (Video) - NBA.com
- Senseless NBA players, owners will look back on this with regret - Ian Thomsen - Sports Illustrated
- Season in serious jeopardy, but not lost yet - Zach Lowe - Sports Illustrated
- Players take to Twitter after rejecting offer - Zach Lowe - Sports Illustrated
- Legal ramifications of NBA players disbanding union (Audio) - Michael McCann - Sports Illustrated
- Stern: NBA Nuclear Winter (Video) - ESPN
- NBA lockout -- What's next for players, owners after union rejects deal - Larry Coon - ESPN
- Stephen A. Smith Interview (Audio) - Scott Van Pelt - ESPN
- Players Show Resolve ( Video) - Chris Broussard - ESPN
- NBPA Feeling Bullied (Video) - Ric Bucher - ESPN
- NBA Players Reject Offer (Video) - Andrew Brandt - ESPN
An Economics Professor Explains Monday's NBA Lockout News - Jonathan Abrams - Grantland
- NBA players blow up union, take fight to court - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
Players vote to reject offer, decertify union. Season likely doomed. - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- NBA players union disbands, throwing 2011-12 season into jeopardy - Chris Sheridan - Sheridan Hoops
- Union makes big move without polling members - Henry Abbott - True Hoop
- Players' new legal leaders speak - True Hoop