Mikhail Prokhorov arrived and departed New York with barely a whiff of publicity this week. He briefed the Board of Governors on progress at the Barclays Center, heard about revenue sharing, got his picture snapped with Irina Pavlova and his trainer. Then after 33 hours on the ground, he was gone, back to Moscow.
He wasn't in the room for CBA negotiations. So where does he stand on the labor issues? "Hawk" or "dove"? Ally of the Suns' Robert Sarver and the Trail Blazers' Paul Allen or the Knicks' James Dolan and the Lakers' Jerry Buss? There are hints coming out of East Rutherford that he doesn't want the season cancelled, wants to move forward, which would seem to put him in the "dove" camp.
The Los Angeles Times agrees. The Times notes, as did Darren Rovell Friday, that it's in his and the Nets' best interest to get things settled quickly. Prokhorov has "new TV deal, [plus] new arena [coming] in Brooklyn," a basketball official tells the Times, good reason to want to play. Meanwhile, the overall situation remains ugly, with now a touch of race added to the proceedings.
- Where NBA owners stand on the lockout - Lance Pugmire, Mike Bresnahan & Broderick Turner - Los Angeles Times
- Delay of land in NBA labor - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Two guys already know how NBA Lockout will end - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Blazers' Allen sets fire to labor talks - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- David Stern, NBA turn labor negotations into disgrace - Sam Amick - Sports Illustrated
Fan frustration could reach boiling point during NBA lockout - Ian Thomsen - Sports Illustrated
- NBA lockout: Negotiations could be hijacked by racial perceptions - Mike Wise - Washington Post
NBA standoff puts more games in jeopardy - Brian Mahoney - AP
- NBA lockout -- Both sides to blame - Michael Wallace - ESPN
NLRB complaint by NBA players might be best chance to end lockout now - Lester Munson - ESPN
- Player reaction to lockout - ESPN
Bill Simmons has 56 things he's already sad about in a not-yet-canceled NBA season - Bill Simmons - Grantland
- NBA Players Association? You’ve had it - Kelly Dwyer - Ball Don't Lie
- What we know and don't know about the lockout - Matt Moore - CBS Sports