In Greek mythology, Sisyphus was condemned to Hades and ordered to forever perform the same meaningless task: pushing a boulder up a mountain, only to see it roll down at the last instant. Welcome to the NBA collective bargaining talks, Sis.
After what appeared to be a promising several days, the two sides broke off talks Thursday night, again over the BRI split. No new talks are scheduled. Said deputy commissioner Adam Silver, "We have certain core beliefs that we think are absolutely necessary ... At this time, we have no further discussions scheduled."
Spurs owner Peter Holt, head of the owners' labor committee, did say the NBA is not announcing any more missed games "at this time."
Derek Fisher, in yet another indication that things are getting worse, told the media, "You guys were lied to earlier" saying the owners are about "telling one-sided stories that are not true." He said the union was willing to keep talking but that the owners have long wanted to "break the union's resolve." Billy Hunter said, in fact, that Holt had told the players a 50-50 split was a take-it-or-leave-it ultimatum.
- NBPA Presser (Video) - NBA.com
NBA labor talks break off - Adrian Wojnarowski - Yahoo! Sports
- NBA lockout negotiations hit snag between players and owners, talks break off - Rob Mahoney - AP
- N.B.A. Talks Break Off, Threatening November Games - Howard Beck - New York Times
After latest NBA impasse, good luck finding someone who cares - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
- NBA Lockout talks break down - Matt Moore - CBS Sports
Winderman: Nuclear winter? NBA wants to be like NHL - Ira Winderman - NBC Sports
After much goodwill, NBA back to where it was - Randy Hill - FOX Sports
- Hope of progress dashed in labor negotiations - Zach Lowe - Sports Illustrated
NBA breaks off labor negotiations between owners and players, Christmas Day games in jeopardy - Mitch Lawrence - New York Daily News
- All dressed up with no hoop to show - Mike Vaccaro - New York Post
- Season in peril as sides point fingers - Marc Berman - New York Post
Players fume over tactics - Howard Kussoy - New York Post
- Players' Union Wouldn't Dip Below 52.5% Revenue Split, Says League - Tom Ziller - SB Nation
Lockout update: Labor talks have broken up - Chris Sheridan - Sheridan Hoops