The Nets still haven't won three straight games since February of 2009. This time, they came just six seconds short of that elusive third straight win, falling to the Mavs, 87-86, at the Prudential Center on Saturday.
The Nets led by as many as nine in the first half. The game was tied at the end of the third quarter, but Dallas scored the first seven points of the fourth. The Nets came back and took the lead in the final minutes, but Dirk Nowitzki put Dallas back up one with a jumper with six seconds left and the Nets couldn't get a shot off.
Mikhail Prokhorov watched from the owners' box at "The Rock", then shortly after 11 p.m., headed back to Moscow. It was only the second loss Prokhorov has witnessed.
Dallas shot just 35 percent from the field, but they outscored the Nets 27-17 at the free throw line. Brook Lopez led all scorers with 24 points, but also had six turnovers. Devin Harris finished with 15 points and 11 assists and Kris Humphries grabbed a game-high 15 rebounds. A win would have permitted the Nets to exceed last year's win total of 12.
The game was a star-studded affair with Prokhorov, fellow billionaire Marc Cuban, Kim Kardashian and Snooki all on hand. Prokhorov and Cuban met in the owner's suite at the half, with the Dallas owner giving Prokhorov the highest compliment he could muster: "He's ballsy, he's smart, he does it his way and doesn't give a [expletive] what other people think and doesn't mind [expletive] with people." From that language, sounds he talked to Snooki too.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- First Half Highlights (Video) - NBA.com
- Mavericks 87, Nets 86 - Tom Canavan - AP
- Nets can't win third straight, fall to Mavericks, 87-86 - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Morrow sees increase in time, looks to improve conditioning - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nowitzki denies Nets 3rd straight win - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Nets coach: Rex gets most out of Jets - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Avery's crew reaches milestone in '12' step program - Peter Vecsey - New York Post
Mavericks beat Nets 87-86; Kidd wonders if move to Brooklyn will ever happen - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Rapid Reaction: Mavs 87, Nets 86 - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Lucky bounce, poor execution doom Nets - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
Jason Kidd leads Mavericks past the Nets, 87-86 - Al Iannazzone - The Record
Nets notebook: Carmelo effect - Al Iannazzone - The Record
Nets can't close out Mavs - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
- Pre-Game: Avery Johnson Interview (Video) - Chris Shearn - YES Network
- Post-Game Plus (Video) - Jessica Taff - YES Network
- Brook Lopez Interview (Video) - Chris Shearn - YES Network
- Sasha Vujacic Interview (Video) - Chris Shearn - YES Network
- Devin Harris Interview (Video) - Chris Shearn - YES Network
- NETS: Nets Challenge Mavs, Come Up Short in Final Sequence - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets
Mark Cuban visits, praises Nets owner - Jeff Caplan - ESPN Dallas
- Rapid Reaction: Mavs 87, Nets 86 - Jeff Caplan - ESPN Dallas
- Shooter's roll: Dirk makes shot that matters as Mavs edge Nets - Eddie Sefko - Dallas Morning News
- If healthy, sharp-shooting Peja Stojakovic in line for big minutes - Eddie Sefko - Dallas Morning News
Dirk saves the day as Mavs squeak past Nets - Michael Dougat - FOX Sports Southwest