Billionaires don't beg.
Mikhail Prokhorov, saying the negotiations had taken too long and had taken too much of a toll on his team, Wednesday ended talks with the Denver Nuggets and Detroit Pistons to acquire Carmelo Anthony.
Prokhorov said his decision was final and that he was pleased with the efforts of Billy King. The billionaire owner said the negotiations, which began in August, had cost the Nets games.
He said as well that he had permission from the Nuggets to talk to Anthony but no agreement on the final contours of the trade which would have been largest in NBA history, moving up to 16 players and $225 million in contracts.
King also announced that Troy Murphy wants a trade and the Nets will try to accommodate him.
“Really, I am not happy with the way the deal has gone until now,” Prokhorov said. “It has taken too long. It has been played out in public. Certainly it’s taken a toll on the players and I believe it has cost us several games. Games our team, I believe, for sure could win during this period of time.
“I think the management of the team did a great job. But I am instructing our team to walk away from the deal and the meeting that was supposed to be held by our management, tomorrow in Denver with Carmelo, is hereby cancelled.”
In response, Anthony said he would have enjoyed meeting Prokhorov but still wouldn't commit to what he wants.
"Yeah, he's a very interesting man," said 'Melo. "So, for me to just be in the room with him and just have a conversation with him, I would have loved that. I never told anyone anything. Like I said, I'm pretty sure he was just tired of everything that's going on. He probably got fed up about it and he just wanted to move on."
- Prokhorov Announcement (Video) - NBA.com
- Prokhorov Answers Questions (Video) - NBA.com
- Billy King Press Conference (Video) - NBA.com
- NETS: Prokhorov's Proclamation: An End to Trade Talks - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets
Nets owner tells team to drop Anthony deal - Tom Canavan - AP
- Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov said team is walking away from Carmelo Anthony trade talks - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
Murphy asks to be traded after less than one season with team - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Carmelo Anthony deal off the table for Nets, Mikhail Prokhorov says 'the prize' is 'too expensive' - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Prokhorov pulls plug on Nets trade for Anthony - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Murphy has asked Nets for trade - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
Canceling Carmelo: Until further notice, the Nets are still the Nets - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Nets' owner tells team to drop Anthony deal - Al Iannazzone - The Record
Prokhorov calls off Carmelo talks - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
- Nets End Their Bid to Obtain Anthony - Jonathan Abrams - New York Times
- Knicks Now in Spotlight in Carmelo Anthony Speculation - Howard Beck - New York Times
Knicks, Perhaps Distracted by Anthony Talk, Fall to Rockets - Howard Beck - New York Times
- Breaking News: Melo deal off - Mike Mazzeo - ESPN New York
- Prokhorov has team drop Carmelo Anthony deal - Chris Sheridan - ESPN New York
Nets Walk Away From Carmelo (Video) - Chris Sheridan - ESPN
Carmelo-Nets Deal Still Alive? (Video) - Jon Barry - ESPN
- Nets' Prokhorov kills megadeal for Anthony - Don Burke - New York Newsday
- Knicks no closer to deal for Anthony - Alan Hahn - New York Newsday
Nets Pull Out Of Carmelo Talks - Alex Raskin - HoopsWorld
Troy Murphy requests trade from Nets, given leave from team - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Nets F Troy Murphy requests trade - Ben Golliver - CBS Sports
- Nets Owner Prokhorov Ends Carmelo Anthony Trade Talks - Nancy Kerchival - Bloomberg News
Prokhorov 'walking away' from deal for Carmelo Anthony - Mike Ashmore - Trentonian
'Melo wanted to meet Prok - AP
- Carmelo Anthony trade to New Jersey is dead, Nets owner says - Denver Post
- Nuggets on the clock to trade Anthony after Nets say no - Mark Kiszla - Denver Post
Billionaire Russian owner nixes deal for Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony - Benjamin Hochman - Denver Post