There have been a few stories about the Nets needing to go after a #4 in Craig Smith, Chuck Hayes, or perhaps an even bigger fish if Devin Harris or TWill is included in the deal. My take... do nothing and be patient.
Here are the 5 reasons why:
1) What they have now is okay: Hump/Outlaw (despite Avery's insistence on him playing the #3 he should look at the numbers to see where Outlaw has had success and he will see it is more at PF).
2) Favors: He may be turning only 19 but so what. This team is young and he needs to get 15-25 minutes a game to make mistakes, improve, and become more seasoned quicker.
3) Adding Marginal PF- Why? You are going to tell me that Hayes or Smith is a significant upgrade to Hump or Outlaw? We may have a big clog here if we add one of these bodies b/c leaving it open allows Outlaw to move to #4 at times which frees up playing time for TWill and James. Hump was impressive last year and a rotation of him, Outlaw, and Favors allows the Nets to put a real athletic line-up on the floor in: Brook/ Outlaw/TWill/Lee/Harris.
4) Trade. This scares me b/c although we are cluttered at the wing, we have no idea who will come out of the clog in the long run. It is better to leave it overloaded and cluttered b/c these guys are all young and similar. The competition aspect should not be overlooked. Morrow/CLee/TWill/James/Outlaw can really go at it in practice and make each other better. Giving up Harris or Twill (most talked about names on this site) does not make sense. Harris/Farmar will have a battle in their own right and in the end we may see that Farmar makes better decisions but again the competition there will make two young players better.
5) Billy King- Need to test my palate before we let him run. He has a poor track record and not ready to trust him (albeit I have no choice on this last point).