Two days before Rod Thorn's last day as team president, the Nets have a replacement. The team announced Wednesday afternoon that Billy King has been named general manager. He will be introduced at a press conference on Thursday. King and Danny Ferry had been interviewed by Mikhail Prokhorov, Rod Thorn and Avery Johnson on Tuesday in New York.
"He has all of the qualities we've been looking for in a candidate: professionalism, good relations with the league, players and agents, and strong communications skills," Prokhorov said of King in the Nets' press release. "He will be an excellent fit with Head Coach Avery Johnson. Most importantly, Billy is ambitious. He wants to win."
Nets Name Billy King New General Manager - New Jersey Nets
- Nets hire Billy King to run basketball operations - David Aldridge - NBA.com
- King Will Run Nets - Al Iannazzone - In the 'ZZone
- King Hired as Nets GM - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Nets name Billy King as new general manager - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Nets name Billy King new general manager after month-long search - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
Billy King, former GM of Philadelphia 76ers, hired to replace Rod Thorn - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
- Nets to name King as General Manager - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
- Former 76ers executive Billy King to replace Thorn - AP
Mikhail Prokhorov Says One Thing, Nets Do the Opposite - Josh Alper - NBC New York
Billy King Transaction History - HoopsHype