Given the fact most on Netsdaily (including myself...i've seen about 5) haven't seen very many GTech games...I decided to compile these quotes from two Atlanta Journal articles which seem to be heavily visited by Yellow Jacket fans. These are comments from the two following articles:
(1) Derrick Favors Stock is Growing and Growing...
(2) Derrick Favors: He'll be Better in the NBA than at Tech
Some of the comments are positive and some are negative so here goes:
1. Derrick Favors is such an obvious talent, I guess he has to go high in the draft. But as a Tech senior who went to a lot of games and was looking forward to having one of the most explosive, dominating freshmen in college basketball, I was totally disappointed. Maybe Favors was underused, but his body language was totally awful almost 100% of the time. He seems lazy, he doesn’t hustle, he doesn’t care about winning or losing… that’s what he telegraphed to me from the court. If I were an NBA GM watching tape on Favors, I would be impressed by his obvious physical gifts, but I would definitely question his work ethic and will to win.
Then again, Hewitt can recruit ‘em but he can’t seem to coach them to their potential. Who thought Anthony Morrow was going to be a solid NBA starter? He was a solid role player on our team, if that. No. 3 pick for Favors just seems too high to risk getting a lazy player who just wants to get paid.
2. Good to see NBA insiders confirming what every single one of us who attended Tech (and send in the alumni money every year) already know: Paul Hewitt must go. He didn’t know what to do with Bosh… couldn’t get the ball inside to Favors. What’s the point with the “one-and-done” approach if we have a coach who can’t take advantage of the “one”…?? All the best to Derrick (he deserves it… a solid kid with alot of character), but Tech basketball needs a fresh perspective and change in direction…
3. Get that Money Derrick!!! Good Job!! It should scare GT basketball fans. When you have a kid that is a top 3 pick in the draft and possibly another 1st rounder in Lawal and you still cant win games..thats scary and yes its Paul Hewitt’s fault 100% precent. Derrick would have been the 1st pick had GT produced wins this past b.ball season but congrats never-the-less
4. Another Tech basketball player under-used and under coached at GT, so what’s new??? Hewitt is destroying this program … 6 years and still counting.
5. Then again, Hewitt can recruit ‘em but he can’t seem to coach them to their potential. Who thought Anthony Morrow was going to be a solid NBA starter? He was a solid role player on our team, if that. No. 3 pick for Favors just seems too high to risk getting a lazy player who just wants to get paid.
6. Favors is the real deal..seems to be a great kid..great attitude…amd smart, other than the moment of insanity when he choose to waste a year of his life at GT!
7. How is anyone going to improve at Tech except by watching the opposing team’s coaching! Tech is a young superstar graveyard!
8. For GT BB, just another case where the talent of the individual players is much greater that the talent of the team as a whole. Inquiring minds want to know why GT hasn’t had a take-charge point guard since 2005. Could it be they’re really hard to find or CPH just hasn’t been looking for one? What used to be point guard U is now point guard phew!!
9. Mr. Favors is not ready for basketball to become a job and not just a game. It is cannot be debated that this is not a very mature kid and it is apparent in the way he carries himself on the court. His lack of enthusiasm and passion for the game is evident. Outside of Maryland, in every game he was going through the motions and could care less about winning or losing. That approach will result in Kwame Brown comparisons, not Tyrus Thomas. His potential is off the charts, but if you don’t love what you do, it will be a short ride.
10. “Three Tech guards have played the point on a collegiate level, but not one is a real distributor. It’s human nature for big men to grow frustrated when they don’t see the ball, and Favors and Lawal are human.”
Absolutely correct. It’s Hewitt’s job to make sure this doesn’t happen. There’s a win-win thinking where both guys get the ball enough, and it drives competitors crazy.
Hewitt has neither the will nor the ability to get that win-win implemented.
11. Look at Morrow, Aminu, Bosh, Jack, etc.: everyone improves markedly in the NBA after escaping Hewitt and his incompetent assistant coaches.
12. Chris Bosh was stuck hanging out at the foul line too for Tech. I never thought he would do anything in the NBA. I was shocked how athletic he is – the peferect NBA prototype… So I would expect Favors to head down the same road.