It wound up differently than people expected. Derrick Favors' selection was hardly a surprise. He had been projected as the Nets choice ever since the Draft Lottery and while some might have preferred DeMarcus Cousins or Wesley Johnson, the Nets liked him from the beginning.
He likes them too. "They’re ready to move in a different direction from last year," Favors said after being selected at #3. "They’re ready to improve, ready to contend for an NBA championship in a few years. It just means I have a bullseye on my back. I have to put in a lot of work."
While some draftniks suggested he's not much more than an asset in a July sign-and-trade, Avery Johnson made it clear he sees Favors as "a prototypical power forward".
The big surprise was the trade for Damion James, a 6'8", 225 pound combo forward from Texas. He hadn't been seriously discussed as a Nets pick, at least by the draftniks. But apparently, he had been on the front office radar for a while, with one insider noting that he had been projected by some (HoopsWorld) as a lottery pick and in most mocks between #14 and #17. When they saw him fall to #24 and when some of their favorites get picked ahead of schedule, they made the deal...and were happy with it. He was an 18 and 10 guy in the Big 12, where was the conference's all-time leading rebounder.
One reason: they like his story, growing up tough in Nacogdoches, TX. That's where he watched the draft. "I'm feeling kind of dazed right now," James told a Texas newspaper. "Oh, man, it's great."
- Nets select Derrick Favors with No. 3 pick - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Notebook: Nets get Texas tough with addition of Damion James - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Nets take Georgia Tech forward third in NBA Draft - Fred Kerber - New York Post
Big expectations for big man - George Willis - New York Post
- Nets select Georgia Tech's Favors, add Texas forward James - Al Iannazzone - The Record
The newest Nets - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Sounds Like Free Agent Dream: Nets Get Amare-lite, James - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
- Nets select Derrick Favors of Georgia Tech with No. 3 pick in 2010 NBA Draft - Julian Garcia - New York Daily News
- Avery sees Dwight Howard in Favors - Julian Garcia - The InterNets
2010 Draft Night - Derrick Favors Interview (Video) - Jaclyn Sabol - New Jersey Nets
- Draft Instant Analysis - Nets (Video) - Rick Kamla - NBA.com
GEICO SportsNite: The Nets draft Favors (Video) - Gary Apple - SNY
- Nets draft Favors with third overall pick - Kimberly A. Martin - New York Newsday
- Texas' Bradley, James picked in first round - Mark Rosner - Austin American-Statesman
Dream come true for Damion James - Brandon Ogden - Nacogdouches Sentinel
How would you grade the Nets on Draft Day?
A (356 votes)
B (543 votes)
C (117 votes)
D (21 votes)
F (29 votes)
1066 total votes