After a day of fast moving developments, it now looks like Tom Thibodeau is headed for Chicago, leaving the Hornets in the lurch and setting up Avery Johnson as the leading candidate to coach the Nets next season, the Post's' Fred Kerber and Peter Vecsey report.
With Jeff Van Gundy rejecting a Nets' offer and Thibodeau seemingly headed for the Bulls, Johnson "now seems like the leader", the Post reports. Johnson, who met with Rod Thorn over the Memorial Day weekend, is also in the mix for the Hawks job and Mike Brown, fired by the Cavaliers, remains a Nets' candidate as well.
On Wednesday evening, Thibodeau rejected a New Orleans ultimatum after reports in both ESPN and Sports Illustrated suggested the Celtic assistant wanted to wait and see what the Nets and Bulls would offer him. Thibodeau spoke with Rod Thorn on Tuesday before the Celtics left for Los Angeles, but the two did not meet. Later Wednesday, the Chicago Tribune reported that the Bulls had sent its general manager and senior vice president to Los Angeles to speak with Thibodeau. The Celtics denied the report.
And while Chris Mannix of SI reported Thibodeau was "enthralled" by the Nets, the Post reports Thibodeau is "almost guaranteed to wind up with the Bulls". Thibodeau and LeBron James share an agent and advisor and it's believed that's a key reason the Bulls want him. Mannix, Kerber and Vecsey also report the Celtics' assistant may want to wait to see if Doc Rivers leaves Boston but is unlikely to get the job.
Thibodeau nixes Hornets - Fred Kerber & Peter Vecsey - New York Post
- Sources: New Orleans Hornets set decision deadline for Boston's Tom Thibodeau - Marc Stein - ESPN
- Hornets want answer from Tom Thibodeau now or they'll move on - Chris Mannix - Sports Illustrated
- Bulls fly to L.A. to interview Thibodeau - K.C. Johnson - Chicago Tribune
Celtics deny Bulls are meeting Thibodeau - Jim O'Donnell - Chicago Sun-Times
Report: Tom Thibodeau more interested in Nets job - Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
Coaching carousel: Latest buzz - Marc Stein - ESPN
- Hornets pushing Tom Thibodeau to make up his mind. Not like he's got anything else to think about.- Kurt Helin - NBC Sports
- Boston Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau mum on New Orleans Hornets coaching vacancy - Jimmy Smith - New Orleans Times-Picayune
- Hornets Unwilling To Wait On Thibodeau, May Turn To Monty Williams - SB Nation
Attention to detail - Jackie MacMullan - Boston Globe
- Coach K flattered, but not leaving Duke - Joedy McCreary - AP
The WheelHouse: Who should coach the Nets? (Video) - Brian Custer - SNY