Forget those rumors that the Knicks' scouting director John Gabriel will be replacing Kiki Vandeweghe as General Manager. In fact, forget Kiki Vandeweghe..and the general manager position. He decided to return from the Pre-Draft Camp in Chicago to finish up some projects in East Rutherford. Though he's disappointed that he won't be staying on, you won't get a negative word about the Nets out of Vandeweghe.
For now, Rod Thorn told Al Iannazzone: "What we’re going to do is combine the presidency and the general manager." Thorn is currently president of basketball operations and although Mikhail Prokhorov said there are only "small formalities" in the way of a Thorn extension, those discussions have been put on hold for a while.
There have been reports out of Moscow for a month that Andrei Vatutin, the president of CSKA Moscow, is in line for a job in the front office, apparently as an assistant general manager. Prokhorov declined comment Wednesday, saying only that there are "three or four" Russian management candidates.
On Thursday, Prokhorov did appoint a Russian manager to oversee Nets business. Irina Pavlova was officially named president of Onexim Sports and Entertainment, which controls Prokhorov's investments in the Nets and Barclays Center. She will work with both Brett Yormark and Bruce Ratner.
With major decisions on the coaching search, the draft and free agency, the front office will be busy. Bobby Marks, the team's vice president for basketball operations and resident capologist, and Gregg Polinsky, director of player personnel and chief scout. will be the next highest ranked executives if Vandeweghe leaves early.
- Rod Thorn will assume Nets' GM role - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Vandeweghe Probably Isn’t As Enamored With Prokhorov As Everyone Else Is - Joe DeLessio - New York Magazine
- Kiki Vandeweghe checks in….on the way to checking out - Dave D'Alessandro - Nets Blast
- Thorn preparing to move forward without outgoing Vandeweghe - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
Now, Rod can be Thorn in own side - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Rod Thorn will take over as general manager for New Jersey Nets - Julian Garcia - New York Daily News
Nets add GM title to Thorn - Al Iannazzone - The Record
Kiki Vandeweghe Takes High Road Despite Abrupt Dismissal - Sam Amick - FanHouse
- Russian diplomat's daughter gets top Nets post - AP
Diplomat's daughter named to top Nets post - Agence France Presse