There were hints Monday that Rod Thorn might not be seeking that big name in the Nets coaching search but instead be ready to (once again) promote an assistant coach to the big chair. Both of his previous coaching hires with the Nets, Byron Scott and Lawrence Frank, had no head coaching experience.
As beat writers sifted the tea leaves, attention turned to a number of assistants, primarily Boston's "associate head coach", Tom Thibodeau. He's generally credited with developing the Celtics defense--and doing the same thing in assistant jobs with the Knicks and Rockets before that. Other assistants who could be elevated this summer include Houston's Elston Turrner, Memphis' David Joerger, Portland's Monty Williams and Dallas' Dwane Casey.
- Nets eyeing Boston Celtics associate head coach Tom Thibodeau - Julian Garcia - New York Daily News
- Rod starts search for Kiki's replacement - Fred Kerber - New York Post
- Thorn indicates he’ll be back - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Nets' wish list - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- 'As of right now,' Nets president Rod Thorn will return to rebuild team - Dave D'Alessandro - Star-Ledger
- Nets want Celtics' Thibodeau to coach? - Mark J. Miller - Yahoo! Sports
- Report: Nets eye Tibs - Paul Flannery - WEEI
Nets interested in Tom Thibodeau? - John Krolik - NBC Sports
Thomas Hill says Krzyzewski unlikely to leave Duke - Dwain Price - Fort Worth Star-Telegram