With the trade of Terrence Williams, Joe Smith and two second round picks for Sasha Vujacic and two (protected) first round picks official, Billy King briefly met with beat reporters and told them what they knew already. It's about acquiring assets and that Terrence Williams wasn't going to work out playing in New Jersey.
"This trade benefits our team in both the short and long term," King said. "Sasha is a veteran NBA player who will add depth to our backcourt rotation, while the addition of the two future number one picks adds to our assets as we look to rebuild into a championship contender."
King added, "The phones have been ringing more" when he was asked if he expects to do more deals. Meanwhile, it looks like Vujacic will be pressed into service sooner rather than later. The Nets are concerned that Anthony Morrow may have torn his hamstring. The team is awaiting the result of an MRI.
While fans are sharply divided on the trade, the first returns from pundits are that the Nets did well because they enhanced their ability to haul in their big target, Carmelo Anthony...and thus enhance their position in their rivalry with the Knicks...or go in another direction.
- Nets could turn out to be the big laughers in this three-way deal - Kelly Dwyer - Yahoo! Sports
Is Carmelo Anthony really the solution? - John Hollinger - ESPN Insider
- Real rivalry between Knicks and Nets - Alan Hahn - New York Newsday
- Nets Have Six Wins but a Lot to Offer - Howard Beck - New York Times
King proving to be Net asset - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
- Williams’ Deal Complete; Nets Get Sasha, Two No. 1s - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
Nets Are Thrilled With Trade, Concerned for Morrow - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Nets GM: Trade 'doesn't hurt' our chances of making future deal - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
Nets Adding Assets, & Get a Guard, to Shoot - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets
- GM King optimistic about new-look Nets - AP
Jordan Farmar to start for Nets - Jared Zwerling - ESPN New York
Nets Acquire Lakers' Vujacic, Two No. 1 Draft Picks in Three-Team Trade - Mason Levinson - Bloomberg
- As the Melo turns: fact vs. fiction - Ken Berger - CBS Sports
Sheridan on Carmelo Anthony (Video) - Chris Sheridan with Bob Ley - ESPN
- Joe Smith: The forgotten part of the Nets’ trade - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Rockets Finalize Trade for Williams - FOX 29 Houston
- It's official: Lakers trade Vujacic for Smith, mystery player - Kevin Ding - Orange County Register
Sasha Vujacic traded to the Nets, Joe Smith incoming - Andy Kamenetzky - ESPN Los Angeles