It's not LeBron James in Cleveland anymore. Nets played against him in Miami Saturday. Now it's Booby Gibson, J.J. Hickson, Anderson Varejao and Mo Williams...all coached by Byron Scott who has plugged his starless squad into the Princeton offense. So far, so good. They're 3-3. The Nets play a back-to-back, home-and-away set against the Cavaliers starting Tuesday. In particular, James ' departure has opened up opportunities for Hickson, averaging 16.5 ppg and 5.5 rpg. Mo Williams, back from a groin injury, scored 50 points over two games this weekend, both wins and Antawn Jamison rejoins the team Tuesday as well.
For the Nets, it's about accountability and toughness. Monday's practice apparently was a vigorous one, with a lot of screaming about no lay-ups. Avery Johnson put a lot of blame on himself for not pushing his young charges harder. "Right now because of the team being young, all the pressure with the team should be on me," Johnson said. Terrence Williams, among others, didn't agree. "Coach Johnson can’t take all of it and say we’re young. We have to play basketball and be tougher."
And here's a question: Will TWill get louder cheers for his flagrant on LeBron from fans in New Jersey or Cleveland?
- New Jersey Nets Game Notes - New Jersey Nets
- Cleveland Cavaliers Game Notes - Cleveland Cavaliers
- Getting Inside - New Jersey Nets - Sports Xchange
Getting Inside - Cleveland Cavaliers - Sports Xchange
- Cavaliers-Nets Preview - Stats, LLC
- Nets focus on toughness at practice - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
- Nets Don’t Want to Be Charmin Anymore - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Nets focus on being tougher at practice - Colin Stephenson - Nets Blast
- Opportunity knocking for Nets now - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
Nets Collect Selves to Challenge Cavs - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets
- Lopez: "I just need to play stronger" - Jared Zwerling - ESPN New York
- Scott, Cavs enjoy resurgence, first place; Jamison expected to play Tuesday - Mary Schmitt Boyer - Cleveland Plain-Dealer
- Cleveland Cavaliers links: Teams hoping to surprise --Cavs and Nets-- meet Tuesday and Wednesday - Starting Blocks - Cleveland Plain-Dealer
- Road Diaries/Cavs update - Jason Lloyd - Akron Beacon-Journal
What Should Our Expectations Be For This Home-and-Home With New Jersey? - Ancient Mariner - Fear the Sword