Over the weekend, MSG aired a commercial for Tuesday's game between the New York rivals. "Hey Nets," intoned a voiceover. "You can walk like us, you can talk like us, but you ain't never gonna be like us. Knicks, Nets, Tuesday, 7:30, MSG." The commercial was produced by MSG, not the Knicks but does it matter? They're both owned by the Dolans.
You knew it was only a matter of time before Mikhail Prokhorov responded...and he has. "I don't think we want to be like the Knicks," said the owner, speaking from Moscow. "I think we'd more like to resemble the Lakers." Brett Yormark, speaking from Brooklyn, also had his take: "The Knicks seem to be spending a lot of time thinking about us lately. They must have seen the steel rise at the Barclays Center."
It's all part of the marketing war that will no doubt intensify as the Nets get closer to Brooklyn, where the Knicks have spent tens of thousands of dollars on billboards that brace the Barclays Center construction site, much as the Nets did with the "Blueprint for Greatness" billboard last June.
- Net-Knick rivalry goes up a notch - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Prokhorov responds to Knicks ad - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
Prokhorov vs. Dolan: Guitar Hero edition - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov says his team wants to be like Lakers, not Knicks - Colin Stephenson - Star-Ledger
- Nets owner: Don't worry Knicks, we don't want to be like you - Fred Kerber - New York Post Nets Blog
Prokhorov Zings the Knicks - Joe DeLessio - New York Magazine
- Knicks-Nets ad feud continues - Ian Begley - ESPN New York
- Prokhorov: ‘We Don’t Want To Be The Knicks’ - SLAM
Battle For NY Finally Reaches The Court - Ryan Jones - SB Nation New York