There are already tons of reasons not to trade for Carmelo Anthony. I will list a few of them to start this post.
1) Derrick Favors is a beast and from the looks of it we have to give up a solid PG in harris and numerous draft picks on top of him. Just purely from a talent standpoint it is not worth it.
2) Melo's personality: It kind of irks me when players demand trades. Doesn't seem like a team player to me. Criticize me if you want, but that's just my gut feeling.
3) Cap room: A huge max contract for a player like melo would kill us here, especially when the CBA might reduce player salaries.
4) Age: Self-explanatory. A cheap, 19 year old likely stud (plus other stuff) is far better than an expensive, 26 year old stud.
5) Star-power is overrated: Sure, stars will sell initial tickets, but in the long run, having a winning team sells you tickets. Keeping your top young players allows you to do this.
And on top of this, my own personal reason.
This year, i do not think we make the playoffs. Sure, we will improve, but i see 30-35 wins. This means we could pick up a late lottery pick to add to our already impressive collection of young players! Say we pick up an impact wing such as Kyle Singler or Jan Vesely, This could improve our team even further in the future. Take the Thunder route. And for those who say, "well we don't have durant," well, we do have favors, lopez, harris, t-will, djames, and another draft pick. A 2013 lineup like this
could be championship-caliber.
Sorry this is a little long, but I think it could change people's views on melo.