The Nets improved to 3-1 in the preseason with a furious comeback against the Sixers at the Prudential Center on Saturday afternoon.
It was an ugly game that Philly led by seven with 15 seconds to go. Fans were streaming out of The Rock when noise from those still inside brought them back.
In those last 15 ticks of the clock, the Sixers missed three of four free throws down the stretch while the Nets hit three three's in the final seconds--two off set plays drawn up by Avery Johnson. The final points came, as time expired, on a 28-foot Stephen Graham bomb from straight away.
The Sixers shot just 35 percent from the field, but the Nets didn't shoot much better and turned the ball over 25 times, including 10 times in the first quarter. Brook Lopez led the Nets with 23 points, but had eight of the turnovers. Travis Outlaw scored 15 points and grabbed nine rebounds before fouling out, Devin Harris had eight assists, and Derrick Favors, starting his first game, finished with nine points and 10 rebounds in 26 minutes.
Before the game, Avery Johnson told reporters that the Nets probably wouldn't have Troy Murphy to start the regular season.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Graham's 3-pointer at buzzer rallies Nets, 90-89 - Tom Canavan - AP
Graham's Buzzer Beater (Video) - King71682 - YouTube
- Coach’s Calls, Big Shot Leads to Great Sendoff - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Murphy Could Miss Start of Season - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
- Thorn left Nets in good shape - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
Nets hoping to bond on long trip - Al Iannazzone - The Record
- Troy Murphy possibly out for season opener, Derrick Favors gets the start - Conor Orr - Nets Blast
- Nets' frontcourt-centric offense on display in 90-89 preseason win over 76ers - Conor Orr - Star-Ledger
- Frantic rally gives Nets win - Howard Kussoy - New York Post
Derrick and Graham doing themselves some Favors - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
Graham’s heroics lift Nets - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
Avery Johnson Post-Game Interview (Audio) - Gregory Hrinya - Examiner
- Nets defeat 76ers, 90-89 - Kate Fagan - Deep Sixer
76ers fall to Nets - Kate Fagan - Philadelphia Inquirer
- NETS: Graham's Game Winner and Favors' 1st Start - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets
Pre-Season: Sixers Collapse in Final 12 Seconds; Lose to Nets - Jordan Sams - Liberty Ballers