The Nets moved to 2-0 on the preseason with a 103-96 win over the Sixers at the Roanoke Civic Center on Tuesday night. It was a close game throughout, but the Nets' reserves took control with an 11-0 run late in the fourth quarter. After allowing the Sixers to score 58 points in the first half, the Nets tightened up the defense, allowing just 38 in the final 24 minutes. Philly shot just 38 percent from the field and 2-for-18 from 3-point range for the game. The Nets, meanwhile, shot 51 percent from the field and hit eight of their 12 threes. They kept the Sixers in it by turning the ball over 18 times and allowing Philly to get to the line 49 times.
Brook Lopez took advantage of the Sixers' lack of size, scoring 24 points and grabbing seven rebounds in 22 minutes. Terrence Williams hit nine of his 12 shots and finished with 20 points and eight assists. Starting at point guard, Jordan Farmar dished out seven assists, while rookies Ben Uzoh and Damion James played solid in limited minutes.
But after a strong preseason debut on Sunday, Derrick Favors struggled. He fouled out in just 13 minutes of action, scoring four points, grabbing one rebound and turning the ball over three times.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- New Jersey Nets vs. Philadelphia 76ers - Recap - AP
- Photo Gallery - New Jersey Nets vs. Philadelphia 76ers - Jeanna Duerscherl - Roanoke Times via AP
- Nets overcome flaws, topple Thorn's team - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Thorn is expecting Net gains - Stefan Bondy - New York Daily News
Nets seek winning culture - Mark Berman - Roanoke Times
- Collins Back on Sidelines as Sixers Fall Against Nets - Dei Lynam - CSN Philly
Collins sees good and bad in Sixers' preseason-opening loss - Bob Cooney - Philadelphia Daily News
- 76ers lose to Nets, 103-96 - Kate Fagan - Deep Sixer
Sixers Notes: Doug Collins coaches first game for 76ers - Kate Fagan - Philadelphia Inquirer
Sixers lose preseason opener - Bob Cooney - Sixerville
- Nets give Johnson preseason win over Collins-led Sixers - Sports Network
- Crowd can't resist call of the NBA ball - Jorge Valencia - Roanoke Times
NBA hoops in Roanoke? Hard to find fault in that - Ian McFarling - Roanoke Times
Travis Outlaw embracing transition to small forward for Nets - Conor Orr - Star-Ledger