The competition wasn't great, but the Nets got their preseason off to a strong start with a 108-70 win over Maccabi Haifa on Sunday night at the Prudential Center. Six Nets scored in double-figures, led by 14 points each from Derrick Favors and Anthony Morrow. Four of Favors' six field goals came on dunks, and he added nine rebounds (five offensive). Morrow hit four of his six attempts from 3-point range. Kris Humphries led the Nets with 12 rebounds and Terrence Williams six assists. Troy Murphy, Brian Zoubek and Joe Smith did not play because of nagging injuries.
Avery Johnson was generally positive but didn't like what he saw from Brook Lopez, "Not good. Not good, especially against a 6'6" center. Got overpowered, not good. But he brought more energy in the third quarter."
The Nets led by just five late in the second quarter, but finished the half on an 8-0 run and opened the game up in the third quarter. They shot 50 percent for the game and held Haifa to 31 percent. Sylven Landesberg scored 24 points for Maccabi Haifa, which was playing in the United States for the first time.
- Boxscore - NBA.com
- Rookie Favors leads Nets in exhibition opener - AP
- Nets make Derrick Favors wait for starting assignment - Conor Orr - Star-Ledger
Avery Johnson wants more out of Brook Lopez, Derrick Favors impresses in scrimmage - Conor Orr - Nets Blast
Nets put on good exhibition - Dan Tomasino - New York Post
- Preseason Game 1 Observations - Al Iannazzone - In the 'Zzone
Favors Impresses In Preseason Debut - Al Iannazzone - The Nets Insider
- Live commentary: Nets vs. Maccabi Haifa - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
- Carmelo who? - Stefan Bondy - The InterNets
Favors' 14 Points Fun to Watch - Ben Couch - New Jersey Nets
- An NBA lockout Avery Johnson can call his own - Chris Sheridan - ESPN
- Sylven Landesberg, product of Flushing's Holy Cross HS, plays for Maccabi Haifa - Christopher Lawlor - New York Daily News
- Mac. Haifa finds bright spots despite drubbing by Nets - Doron Tamari - Haaretz
Israeli club team takes in Nets practice - Conor Orr - Star-Ledger